Here’s a quick two minute quiz on wellbeing. Give it a go and see how you get on.
True or false?
- Stress, anxiety and depression are the third biggest cause of sickness absence in our society.
- Mental ill health costs UK employers an estimated £33-42 billion per year.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death for men under 50 in the UK.
- 40% of people with diagnosable mental illness receive no treatment at all.
Remember what you said for each? Here are the answers:
- False – Stress, anxiety and depression is the BIGGEST cause of sickness absence in society.
- True – For the UK economy as a whole, mental ill health costs up to £99 billion per year.
- True – People with a diagnosed mental health condition have been shown to be at a higher risk of attempting and completing suicide.
- False – It’s actually 75%.
As we can see, those are some shocking statistics. And it’s no surprise that mental health issues are prevalent at work.
On top of that, 85% of managers feel that employee wellbeing at work is their responsibility.
The problem is that only 30% have taken part in mental health training.
We can act to improve this figure right away.
Managers can undertake a two-day Mental Health First Aid course, so they know how to identify the signs of mental ill health.
They can gain the soft skills needed to discuss sensitive issues, and, perhaps most importantly, know where to signpost people so they can receive the help they need.
BounceBack currently have several training dates available in venues across the country.
To book your place and ensure you and your managers have the skills needed to manage this important issue, visit our dedicated MHFA web page.